Sunday, February 26, 2012

Serving the Lord by meeting the physical and spiritual needs of the people in central Honduras

The Lord has really blessed us at Ministerio Saly y Luz this year by using the teams He sends to us to share with the people here in Honduras.  God always provided exactly what is needed at the time it is needed.  I have a lot of weaknesses but I think the one that bothers me most is waiting on God and thinking I can do anything without Him.  I can do nothing without Him, all I do is spin my wheels and all my energy is wasted.  God wants to use my hands and feet but He does not need my help.
We have been blessed with many small teams and groups this year.  All of them were sent here with a purpose that God had ordained and knew before we were born.  They have blessed each one of us and we are very grateful for all the blessings that are heaped on our heads.
We have many prayer concerns that would like to share with each of you.
1.  There is a young 14 year old boy, named Manuel, that has leukemia and needs a bone marrow transplant.  A nurse from the Memphis area that visited us is trying to get him an appointment at St. Jude but we are having problems connecting the doctors here and in Memphis.

2.  Ministerio Sal y Luz will start a pilot tutoring program for the students that we have sponsors for in the US.  The education system here is not good and the children have a difficult time when they go to a larger school in 7th grade.  A lot of them drop out and go to work.  Most parents don't see a need for school and need the money the children can make to help feed them.  We want to make a difference in their education and pray that they stay in school.  We are trying to change the mentality of the people but that takes time and patience.  Pray for guidance and direction that we will make a difference in the life of these children.

3.  Pray for Henry and the staff as they work with the evangelism and other programs for God's glory.

4.  Pray for me to learn and retain Spanish so I can communicate with the people.  I now have two math classes and soon will have two knitting classes for the ladies ministry.  One of my knitting classes is in a small village called 3rd of October.  The people are very poor but I have six ladies that are learning to knit so they can help support their families.  The math classes are remedial for some of the high school students and I also have some pastors that are going to the university and they need help with their math.  One of them asked me last week how many more students I could take.  I told him I didn't know but we would try and see how many is too many.  I have a translator to help me but I have to pay him for his help which I am very grateful for. 

5.  My last request is about Rubenia's family.  Rubenia's had two sisters and a two year old baby brother still in the mountains living with her parents.  The father died in September and I hate to say it but it was a blessing. The mother let me find a home for Johanna the 14 year old.  Nancy the five year old is with a cousin but I don't know where, I just pray that she is alright.  The baby is taking care of himself ( hard for us to imagine) every day while the mother picks coffee to get food.  I want to get the baby but so far the mother will not let him go.  I also need a family to take him.  Johanna is having problems adjusting to the routine at her new home.  None of the children in the family have ever had any rules or discipline, just beatings.   Johanna has a big scar in her scalp where the father hit her with the hoe.  The family that Johanna is living with wants her to stay but they called me and asked me to pray for all of them.  Pray for all the children here, most of them have a very difficult time. 

God bless all of you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment